Thursday, June 25, 2009

Daily Links: Money and Power Edition

It’s been a long time since I pimped my fitness blog, Get Fit Slowly. To be honest, I haven’t been writing there very much. I’ve been busy with this site. But I’m sort of proud and amused by the righteous indignation I mustered in my latest post: “Walk off 15 lbs by July 4!”. It’s been a long time since something got me that worked up.

In the world of personal finance, here are some of my favorite recent articles from around the web:

First, Trent at The Simple Dollar posted an interesting article yesterday about the relationship between money and power. One of Trent’s readers writes that people don’t want to be rich so they can buy stuff; they want to be rich so they can have power. “Money does not result in influence and respect — instead, influence and respect often lead to money,” Trent argues. “Built respect and influence first.” I agree with him, but I don’t think that addresses the question. There’s a difference between “respect and influence” and power. I’ve seen that money can and does buy power, even if it doesn’t buy respect.

At U.S. News & World Report, Kimberly Palmer recently interviewed Suze Orman about the economic crisis. Orman makes some interesting points. Here’s one exchange:

Palmer: Do you think young people have it worse than any other generation, with their higher unemployment rate, high debt levels, and weak job market for graduates?

Orman: Right now, they have it so great it’s not even funny. If the economy kept running the way it was, you guys would have been broke for the rest of your life. Real estate was going up and up. You would never have qualified for real estate, and companies were shipping jobs offshore. So where were you going to get a job? The price of tuition was so high [that graduates] owed $150,000 in student loans. The price of milk and other prices were so off the charts. What were you people going to do? The stock market was at 14,000, so every time you put money into your 401(k), you bought [fewer and fewer] shares.

Finally, NCN over at No Credit Needed has some advice on breaking bad habits. He has a list of things to try if you find that you make a lot of impulse purchase. Solid advice.


Related Articles at Get Rich Slowly:



Read more about Daily Links: Money and Power Edition…



No comments: